Friday, October 31, 2008

more insanity

In a few hours, it will be November, and thus will begin NaNoWriMo.

What is NaNoWriMo? It's National Novel Writing Month, where thousands of writers (some actually published! but most not) attempt to write 50,000 words in one month. Why, do you ask? Well, because writing takes focused effort and concentrated practice, and the only way to become a better writer is to write! Setting a specific goal during a specific time is an excellent method for staying on task and reaching the goal.

Also, we're all probably a little insane (but we're also writers, so that goes without saying).

If you've been reading my blogs for a while, you know that I like to write. I like to write so much that I minored in Creative Writing in college, and I'd still like to get my Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing in the future. In short, I love to write.

I have been participating in NaNoWriMo since 2003, and last year was the first year that I met the 50,000 word goal. It was not easy, but it was one of the most fulfilling things I've done in my life. The novel (still uncompleted) was set in Jacksonville during WWII, and I still work on it every once in a while. For NaNoWriMo, however, one must start fresh, with a mere idea and 0 words.

This year, I am stepping away from historical fiction and moving back into the fantasy realm. I got the idea from a Jonathon Coulton song called "Skullcrusher Mountain." The plot: a powerful sorcerer decides that he wishes to marry, so he kidnaps several girls and brings them to his castle and forces them to compete for the right to marry him. Except, none of them want to marry him. It's a fantasy version of a reality show! Maybe it's a little loopy, but I'm enjoying it. My cast of characters includes the wife-hunting sorcerer, his house steward (who is equally powerful but only uses his magic to clean house), a mute female main character who is the heroine of the story, a cannibal, a vice-laden holy man, and two gigantic salamanders who breathe fire (except one of them doesn't because he thinks it's bad for his health).

Anyway, the next month should be an exceptionally crazy journey, what with taking on NaNoWriMo and keeping up with my teaching responsibilities as well. But that's what makes NaNoWriMo so wonderful! Writing 50,000 words while still managing to have something resembling a life!

So, at the stroke of midnight, I will be planted at my desk in my little apartment, ready and willing to make this the BEST NaNoWriMo ever! It IS NaNoWriMo's 10th anniversary, after all - time to pull out all the stops!

for more information on NaNoWriMo: http://www.nanowrimo.org

No comments: