Thursday, October 23, 2008

Japanese Food Journal: Takoyaki

Takoyaki, for the uninitiated, are octopus dumplings. I shall remember it fondly as my first real introduction to Japan.

I didn't get to spend much time at Will's farewell party, because I was dead on my feet, so while it was my first outing in Japan, I don't think it counts because I wasn't lucid. I did, however, get to have a couple onigiri (rice balls) and a few plums, which are delicious and are now my new favorite fruit. They're aren't like the plums we get at American grocery stores, being smaller in size and much sweeter.

Anyway, Will was invited to a takoyaki party on Sunday, and he asked if I wanted to go too, and I said sure. (when I agreed to go, I'm not entirely sure I had any idea what I was agreeing to, that's how out of it I was). I was still quite tired Sunday when I woke up, but I didn't want to just slouch around in my motel room, so I was glad to go to Maebashi with him. Sunday had a lot of firsts for me, including my first train ride, in which I probably took far too much glee.

But this is about food, specifically takoyaki.

I get the feeling that octopus can be served many different ways, but this was a specific type of party, one that dealt with takoyaki balls. There is a cooking machine designed just for making takoyaki balls. I have no idea what went into the batter because I didn't make any myself (being too enamored with the food presented to me and too engaged in conversation), but I'm assuming it's octopus, batter, and some veggie-type things. Whatever it was, covered in mayo and tonkatsu sauce, it was delicious. Octopus I'm not so keen on by itself, but in ball form, it's less rubbery and more palatable.

Also served was a delicious beef and potato dish brought by another one of the guests. It was rather like a stew, bone-in beef served in its brother. The beef just fell right off the bone, and it was so tender and juicy. I believe it's called nikujaga, but I neglected to write it down, so I could be wrong. Whatever the name, it was heavenly. The potatoes were perfectly done too, and quite flavorful.

There were two new vegetables that I tried. The first was Japanese eggplant, which is different from the Italian eggplant that Americans are used to. It's smaller and not the same color, but it also tastes very good grilled. There was also a cucumber-like vegetable used in a salad, and that I didn't like so much. It had a very bitter taste, and I could have done without that.

But for the most part, everything was insanely yummy.

And there was pocky, quintessentially Japanese. Mmm.

After the takoyaki party, we went out to an izakaya, which is a food journal entry all unto itself.


to read more about takoyaki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoyaki

2 comments:

MOM said...

I am loving this! Can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

Can I say JEALOUS!! So much food and so little time!! Hope you are enjoying it all!!