Friday, October 24, 2008

Japanese Food Journal - Izakaya

An izakaya is a Japanese bar - there are bars and pubs in Japan, but an izakaya is more traditional in spirit, having separate rooms with low tables and cushions for sitting and a menu with a smorgasboard of options to choose from. (at least, that's how the one I went to was like) Patrons order from the menu and pass the dish around the table, so it's more of a free-for-all than a sit-down meal. Drink-wise, you can get just about anything, from traditional sake to imported wines to beer to cocktails familiar to even a casual drinker.

The best part about going to an izakaya is the company. I found myself seated amidst our Japanese hosts, and they very kindly introduced me to the essence of going to an izakaya, which is, quite simply, to eat, drink, and be merry.

They ordered the food items, I simply enjoyed the food. I told them I'd try anything they offered to me, and they didn't disappoint me when they started setting food on the table.

We began with an assortment of veggies, pickled, if I'm not mistaken. The carrots and yellow cucumbers were my favorites. The only thing I didn't really enjoy (for the entire evening) was daikon, Japanese radish. It looks nothing like the little red radishes that Americans know, but it doesn't taste any better than them. I'm not a big radish fan anyway, so I wasn't surprised that I didn't like it. It was the only thing I took that I didn't finish completely - one bite was plenty.

This was followed by Korean pancake, roughly equivalent to okonomiyaki, though apparently made with less cabbage and more curry. This is very popular in Japan, but I prefer okonomiyaki. With the Korean pancake, there's more pancake than filling, and with okonomiyaki, I like how much flavor goes popping into your mouth with every bite. It's more fun to eat and tastier too.

Then was brought out a pot filled with octopus and squid for us to cook over heat. It was so-so. Again, both of them are fairly rubbery, and I get bored chewing, and the flavor is very subtle and not very interesting. I had only a little bit of each, which was enough for me.
My hosts were delighted to find out that I like sashimi, so they ordered some. The tuna was absolutely heavenly, no surprise there. It just melts away in your mouth, mmmm. The scallops were also good, and there was a white fish I can't remember the name of that was quite tasty.

At this point, a bowl with small chunks of meat was passed around, and when I asked about them, I was told it was an "organ." I had only the vaguest sense of what that meant, but I tried it anyway and thought it was good. Not so tender, a little tough, but with an excellent flavor. After further questioning, I was told it was from a bird, and another of the English teachers and I came to the conclusion that it was gizzard. To which point our hosts readily agreed, and there followed a hearty discussion about the consumption of turkey.

They saved the best for last though. Near the end of the party, I was offered a small plate with a row of thinly sliced meat, seasoned and lightly cooked. My host placed a large bit of chopped leeks on a piece of the meat and presented it to me. In answer to my question, she said, "Cow's tongue." Well, I'd come too far to be scared of a muscle, and it looked good and smelled good, so down it went. No disappointment there, except that I didn't get to have another piece of it because it was eaten in no time flat. That was quite sensational, and I wouldn't balk at eating it again.

So, other than the daikon, I am pleased to report that my first trip to an izakaya was a roaring success, and I can't wait to do it again.

for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izakaya

No comments: