Tuesday, March 31, 2009

closing time

I have much to share and precious little time to do it in. Moving my small space is bad enough, but add in closing shop at the school and the social whirlwind of closing parties and goodbye lunches, and time flies right out the window.

There's no telling when I will be able to post again - I'm hoping that it will not take me six weeks to get internet at my new place, but I know better than to believe that things are going to be as simple as I want them to be. May the gods of convenience and interwebs smile upon me and offer me their blessings. I get the feeling I might need them.

I did receive some information about my new school. I'll have a much busier schedule this time around: 29 classes, ~75 students. As if I needed a reminder about how good I had it here in Isesaki. The upside of this is that only 8 of them are kids classes, and 11 of them are Sprint classes, which are fast and easy to prepare, especially now that I've been through all of Sprint 7 and half of Sprint 6 and Sprint 8. Also awesome is that I have two Headway classes, which offers the prospect of teaching high-level subjects. The real unknown factor here is that quite a few of my students are going to be businessmen, which is a change-up from the large number of teachers and bored housewives I had in Isesaki.

Perhaps saddest of all: this marks the end of my freedom to wear sneakers and jeans most of the day. I get the feeling that I will once again be considering buying stock in blister treatments. My feet already hurt.

Thus closes the first chapter of my life in Japan. I can only hope that the next one is as fulfilling and entertaining.

No comments: