Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"on the road again"

Leaving for my vacation tomorrow! Will spend two nights at a hostel near Mt. Hakone, followed by one night at a very nice and expensive hotel near Mt. Fuji. Then, on Sunday, I'm heading into Tokyo for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. So totally looking forward to this. Should have plenty of pictures when I get back.

Also, I will be moving. It hasn't been made fully official yet, but I am being transferred to the school in Moriya, in Ibaraki prefecture. I'm told that it's one of GEOS newer schools and that it's one of the company's fastest growing schools. My boss informed me that they need a teacher who is "strong and independent." This sounds like praise and recognition, doesn't it? I think it means that this may be a challenging position. And that may just mean that I'm a terrible cynic. Either way, challenges are okay with me. The majority of my students will be adults, and that's all I ask for.

Though I will be working in Moriya, I will be living in Matsudo, which is in Chiba prefecture and very close to Tokyo. One of my students also informed me that it's close to Disneyland, which she should know well enough because she is a frequent visitor to said theme park. That's fantastic (and that's sarcastic), but it's not like I'll be living IN Disneyland, so there. I will have to commute to work by train, so there's that to consider.

This news has been disappointing to my students, though. Even some of them who are cancelling were a little upset - as Naofumi-san pointed out, I could still hang out with my old students if I stayed in Gunma-ken. Rio-chan's mother even said I should come and visit them, and in all seriousness offered to have me as a guest. (Have I mentioned that I love my students? I love my students. They are awesome incarnate.) I'm not sure how many of my classes will transfer to Ito Yokado now, because some of them are already asking about transfering to other GEOS schools.

Which raises other concerns for me. I had an interview today, and despite the move and the changing of teachers, the prospective student decided to sign a contract. This gives my adult interviews a 100% success rate. I do not understand this. It always strikes me as odd when people seem to like me. I've never thought of myself as particularly personable. My greatest concern, however, is how these newer students (there are 3 of them whose contracts start this month) will fare at Ito Yokado. Renewals have not been encouraged, a sub teacher will be put in charge of the adult classes, and Hitomi-san has been told not to open any new classes. I find all this a little distressing, but there's nothing I can do about it, which just irritates me.

Finally, I would like to take this time to affirm my distaste for adverbs. The Sprint 8X lesson this week was all about adverbs, and it was painful. Even Naofumi-san thought it was a little disconcerting. The conversation caused me great emotional trauma from the overuse of its adverbs. I also took offense to the book's suggestion that writers use adverbs to help "describe their characters and their motivations." As a writer myself, I believe that using adverbs is akin to cheating and should not be encouraged. Adverbs should be used only when necessary and not whenever the writer doesn't know how to express herself in detail.

Take, for example, the adverb "clumsily." You can write, "The ballerina danced clumsily." Okay, fine. That'll get the job done. But, suppose you write, "The ballerina tripped over her feet and staggered forward, bumping into male lead and knocking them both off balance." No, it's not perfect, but you get more detail and a better visual idea of what's happening. Creative writing is about forging a mental image of a scene, and that requires details. Adverbs only offer outlines, vague shadows of what is happening.

Yes, I've edited a few things over the years. I've written some crap over the years too. I also read fan-fiction for a while before I decided to give it up for the sake of my sanity. If not used with great care, adverbs can ruin your prose.

In closing, Tom Swifties should be outlawed. That is all.

for more information on the abomination that is a Tom Swifty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swifties
(adverbs and puns combined! the horror . . .)

No comments: