Friday, January 16, 2009

"roam if you want to . . ."

Is it too early to be thinking about where I want to go next? I mean travel-wise, not move-wise. I was checking out my school calendar the other day and found myself looking for periods of time that might be good for travel - weekend trips and extended trips. Hey, it's never too far ahead to plan!

weekend trips - These I can do at anytime, and I would like to do more of them. Just little trips to places to do a little sight-seeing and a little cultural expansion. I really want to go to Ise-shi in the Mie Prefecture to see the shrines there, as I'm told they're among the most sacred shrines in Japan. Also, one of my students suggested Kawagoe; she thinks I'd like it there. Also also, I once mentioned to Naofumi-san that I like horses and horse-back riding, and he took it upon himself to do some research on it. There are some places very close to Isesaki (up in the mountains) that offer horse-back riding, lessons and trails. Looks like a lot of fun, so I want to try that in the spring! Also also also, I want to go back to Tokyo and explore more there, and there is the obligatory trip to Tokyo Disney that must be made (but not without Sarah!).

early April - My parents are coming to visit me, so of course I want to take them to a couple of nice places in Japan. A hot spring resort is definitely on the itinerary, along with a daytrip to Nikko. As for the rest of it, I'm not sure. I was thinking about Kyoto, but that seems almost stereotypically touristy. But then, nearly everyone has said that I should take them to Kyoto. It'll probably require a bit more research before I finalize anything (along with a consultation with Benni-sensei).

Golden Week - I'm postive that I want to travel, I'm just not sure where I want to go. Probably not someplace in Japan, which is something I want to do anyway, travel to other countries while I'm here in Japan. Anybody want to go to Hong Kong for a couple of days with me? ;)

July - I'm taking five days off (for a nine day vacation) in July to fly back to the States for my high school reunion and the 7th Annual Birthday Fiesta O'Fun. Yay!

September - There's a 4-day weekend, for holidays and de-facto holidays. I'm thinking this might be a good time for a trip back to Takayama; I bet it's beautiful there for the summer/autumn transition. If not Takayama, then Kyoto if I haven't managed to get there sooner.

November - I have a 3-day weekend early in the month, so it would make a good time for an extended weekend trip. Where I go depends on where I haven't been yet. And yes, I am thinking this far ahead because that's just the way I am.

New Year's - Undecided. Will probably travel, I just don't know where - shall I stay in Japan or shall I explore elsewhere? It would be cool to spend New Year's in Australia or New Zealand, though it'll likely be monstrously expensive. At least I've still got time to think about it.

3 comments:

Nick said...

sounds like you're planning to renew your contract.... and no one had to make you a study plan or anything! You're an easy sell :)

Sara said...

I know, right? If only my students were so easily convinced!

Meredith Linley said...

I'm so excited you are coming for the reunion. Everyone else I talk to who complains about making the trip to CR - I just stop them and say "Sara H is coming from Japan, so suck it up!!"