Wednesday, January 28, 2009

the laziest Wednesday ever

I like my Wednesdays a lot, because there's not a lot of demands on me. I don't have any classes until 6pm, and my total number of students is 3, including Naofumi-san, who is always amusing. The kids are amusing too, especially since they usually want to spend the first five minutes sending my Obi-Wan doll on new adventures around the room.

There aren't any kids' classes because it's a "catch-up" week, when any classes missed due to GEOS holidays or teacher absences can be made up. I have no need to do this, so that ejects eight classes from my weekly schedule and leaves me with only Naofumi-san's classes today. I love it when I can show up at the school in jeans and know that I have ample time to do whatever the hell I want to most of the day.

Benni-sensei showed up with taco leftovers, so we all sat down for a taco fiesta for lunch, which was brilliant in so many ways. A delivery guy stopped by to drop off a package, and being the generous people we are, we forced him to eat a taco. Can't imagine what he thought of that - Mexican food isn't incredibly popular or available here (Shinobu-san had never eaten tacos before, and neither have Hitomi-san's parents) - but he seemed to enjoy it. He should have, because they were damn good tacos. Again, I ate way too many of them. We decided that we should do this more often, so our next theme will be a pizza party. No telling when we'll actually have it, but it's an idea.

After lunch, I went out to do something I've been putting off all month long: buying a set of weights. I stopped by Beisia first to get the ingredients to make peanut butter balls for this weekend and then went over to Cainz Home to get the weights. 3kg each, which is a little more than what I used in the States. We'll see if doing all this bike-riding has actually improved my endurance or not. I even brought my Biggest Loser DVD with me, so I'll be giving that a try this week. Good thing I don't have any kids to worry about, because I'll probably be in pain for a couple of days. Nice.

I dropped my stuff off at the apartment, changed into appropriate attire, and arrived back at the school in time to learn that Naofumi-san had called to say he would be absent, thus affording me my first day of 0 classes taught. Hitomi-san and I gave Benni-sensei her card and present (a small blanket and pillow for when she wants to nap in her classroom - seriously, she's done it a couple times, and she's slept there overnight too), and then I spent three hours studying Japanese.

Have I mentioned lately that I love my life? Because I do. Totally.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, hey there. I was reading your blog and I saw you're an English teacher and, uh, I'm actually looking for an English classes. I live in Isesaki and as far as I could see you do too. So, is there any way I could contact you? An e-mail adress or something. I'm leaving one of my e-mails here, so if you have any free time you could send me a message. Thanks for your attention.

Anonymous said...

Uh, hey there. I was reading your blog and I saw you're an English teacher and, uh, I'm actually looking for English classes. I live in Isesaki and as far as I could see you do too. So, is there any way I could contact you? An e-mail adress or something. I'm leaving one of my e-mails here, so if you have any free time you could send me a message. x.meel@hotmail.com Thanks for your attention. And I'm sorry I double-commented here. :p

Nick said...

You're not feeling the kannobi crunch??? I'm so jealous. If we tried to have tacos in the middle of anywhere, Head Office would swoop down and have our heads, simply because it didn't involve making money... I am hoping to steal some of your life loving energy

Sara said...

there's a very good reason we're not feeling the crunch, and it's not a happy one, unfortunately. we're basically persona non grata right now and could likely get away with anything. we're planning a gyoza party next week. I've got plenty of life-loving energy to go around though. I probably won't notice if any goes missing . . .