Tuesday, April 28, 2009

bring on the Golden goodness

Tomorrow begins Golden Week, which is a string of various holidays ranging from Consitution Day to Childrens' Day to a substitute holiday that some people (like GEOS employees) get because extra holidays are cool. I don't understand all of it, the important thing is that I get eight days in a row off, and that makes me happy.

It also makes me have to plan things to entertain myself. I have discovered that I can't sit around at home all day. I'm beginning to believe that this is why I wasn't so happy in the States - I spent a lot of time wanting to escape from my apartment and not being able to. Here, I don't have such worries. Venturing out of the apartment is always worthwhile and never too expensive (unless I choose for it to be expensive, but at least that's my decision). There is no reason for me to be bored, and for this, I am glad. Furthermore, I have eight days to find new ways to entertain myself.

Tomorrow, I absolutely must finish unpacking all of my crap and make some attempt to organize things. I'll probably do that in the evening; I want to go out and do something in the afternoon. Not sure what, probably going to Kashiwa and window-shopping. There's a shopping mall at one of the TX stops that has a Uniqlo, so I'll probably end up there. I can usually find something I want to buy there.

Thursday, I may be stuck in my apartment all day (or most of the day) as I wait for people to show up and get my internet set up. If I can actually get this done, a boring day at home will be worth it.

Friday, I'm going to Narita with Benni-sensei to visit the temple there, as well as a botanical garden. Should be entertaining, as traveling with Benni-sensei always is.

Saturday and Sunday have become a bit more complicated. Benni-sensei and I had planned on going up to Gunma on Saturday to hang out with Hitomi-san, but now Benni-sensei has family plans. Gunma may have to wait until Sunday. BUT one of my gaming buddies invited me to an English-language conference in Harajuku that I really want to go to, so I guess I need to decide what I want to do. If I go to Gunma, I'll probably have to stay in a motel, so I won't get home until Monday. This isn't a bad thing, it's just a little troublesome. I'd like to see Hitomi-san again, but that means spending more money and traveling a lot longer. Still thinking about that.

Also on Sunday is the Kentucky Derby, which I will get up incredibly early to watch if I have my internet running. That may affect my decision on going to the conference.

Monday through Wednesday, I'm still not sure of. I have some things in Tokyo that I want to do (such as go to Meiji Jingu, visit a botanical garden or two on Greenery Day), it's just a matter of figuring out what day I want to do them.

So, it looks like I've got no shortage of plans. I'm looking forward to having the time off to just relax and have some fun. And with any luck, after it's over, I'll have the ability to post my April pictures and adventures!

No comments: