Tuesday, December 30, 2008

update: Kit Kats - even more flavors!

That's right, I have discovered more flavors of Kit Kat, and I am under the impression that there are EVEN MORE out there for me to find.


I don't have pictures of the strawberry cheesecake and blueberry cheesecake flavors, but that's okay. There wasn't much to see of them (though, the boxes were kind of pretty). They were both white chocolate, but I thought that was appropriate given the whole "cheesecake" angle. They were okay, nothing spectacular.



Apple Kit Kats, however, are yummy! When you open the box, this delicious, crispy apple smell comes exploding out. The flavor is totally magnificent, and I've since bought a couple more boxes of them. I think they're my second favorite after the anko Kit Kats.




It's gotten out around the school that I have two Japanese obsessions: Tommy Lee Jones commercials and various flavors of Kit Kats. I'm not sure which of the two our students find the most amusing, but they do what they can to fuel the fires of my passion, at least in regards to the Kit Kits. One of Benni-sensei's students who took an Intensive week class with me brought me soy sauce-flavored Kit Kats as a Christmas present. She was kind of embarrassed about it - "Shoyo and chocolate? I think maybe it tastes bad together." - but I like them. The salty/sweet combination is actually pretty good. What I find hilarious is that she was out traveling, stopped at a rest station, saw these, and actually thought about me! What can I say, our students are completely awesome. I gave her brownies and eggnog in return.


Christmas Eve, Benni-sensei and I went shopping at Don Quijote's (that's how it's spelled, and it drives me crazy), and I found these: watermelon Kit Kats. Probably my third favorite flavor, they're way better than the plain melon flavor. I love them. And they smell awesome.


Just to prove that not all Kit Kat flavors are good flavors, here ya go. Black/brown sugar Kit Kats (Benni-sensei translated it as black sugar, Kozue-sensei said brown sugar. Naofumi-san chose not to comment, perhaps being too perplexed at the very idea of so many Kit Kat flavors. Or maybe he just knew better than to tie-break between Benni-sensei and Kozue-sensei.)

On Sunday, after our nabe party, Naofumi-san agreed to drive us to Don Quijote's, which we could not do ourselves because we had been drinking the wine that Benni-sensei got as a Christmas present from one of her students. This was highly amusing, but going to Don Quijote's is always highly amusing, and it turns out it's even more so when you're slightly buzzed. We bought several different flavors of Pringles, and then Kozue-sensei found these Kit Kats, and of course, I bought them.

Perhaps a more appropriate flavor label would be "molasses." It's what they smell like, and it's what they taste like. And they're not that great. They're not terribly nasty, but I consider them "last resort" Kit Kats. They're the Kit Kats I'd eat only if I didn't have any other chocolate to choose from. I'll probably have some of these left over six months from now.

Even so, I'm always thrilled to find new flavors, even if they aren't all that good. My plan is to keep on trying whatever I happen to find. I'm still on the lookout for those cherry-flavored ones that Sarah told me about. Maybe in the spring?

1 comment:

Sarah In Japan said...

oh my goodness, I'm starting to get mad jealous about all your Kit-Kats!! We don't have even 1/3 of the flavors you've tried! And I went to the store today to stock up on my Pringles but they're all gone!! (Not because they ran out but because they were holiday only, so as soon as the holidays were done they were shipped back!) That's one thing I don't like about Japan, no after-holiday sales because they take everything down the DAY BEFORE!!! It's too sad!
Enjoy your Kit-Kats!