Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Japanese Food Journal: food that moves

No, Sara-sensei did not eat anything alive. Very likely, that's the only definite line Sara-sensei will draw when it comes to trying new foods (that, and anything involving celery, yuck yuck yuck).

When serving extremely hot foods (as in temperature, not spice), if you sprinkle bonito (that is, dried fish flakes) on top, the heat travels up into the bonito and makes them move. The result is a flowing motion on top of the food - it looks like the food has tiny tentacles that move of their own accord. It's rather wavy in effect.

I'm told that this can be achieved with numerous hot foods, and so far, I've seen it twice, on grilled Japanese eggplant and on takoyaki. I probably won't be making my own takoyaki any time soon, but I certainly would try my hand at Japanese eggplant dishes, and I'm equally certain that I'd randomly throw bonito flakes on things just to see if they dance. I'll try to get a video of it sometime, because it really has to be seen to be appreciated.

Also to note, I've become quite fond of the takoyaki stand near the school. It makes a good lunch on a cold day because it's exceedingly filling and exceedingly hot. Mmm, yummy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Takoyaki.jpg

1 comment:

Nick said...

booooo I don't know if we can be friends anymore.... first you like takoyaki, and 2nd you like bonito flakes (katsuo-bushi in nihongo)